Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dairy free Healthy Chocolate syrup for Dang good Chocolate Milk (Hot or cold)

We've recently re-discovered chocolate milk!! We found a choclate recipe we love over at Penniless Parenting.   I tweaked it a bit to our tastes. This was too dark chocolate tasting for us, so I added a bit more honey. Another recipe I used was too sweet. I can't seem to find the very first one I found that was perfection. Sigh! Need to save that link before I try something JUST IN CASE it's a winner :) Oh well live and learn. In the mean time my  kids are in heaven trying out different chocolate recipes- And I am in heaven because my house is clean. I am a mean mom and when they ask for Chocolate milk ( a TOTAL treat at our house) I say yes as soon as  (fill in the blank with the messiest room) is clean. They sigh and moan a bit and then get to it so they can have this delicious chocolatey treat ASAP! I'm loving my tidy house and they chocolate milk too. It's a toss up which I enjoy more though :) I AM loving that this recipe is totally healthy AND that I can pronounce EVERY ingredient AND  have them all in my cupboard!
 Here you go!

1 cup local honey- give or take. Make it to your taste buds approval. Local is good but raw not necessary because its going to come to a boil and you will kill the good raw honey properties. But if all you have is raw honey- use it :)
1 cup of water.  This made it super thick. Next time I will use more water.
1 cup cocoa powder
2 pinches of salt
1/8 tsp vanilla (optional- I didn't use it. I'm all about simplicity- and my store bought vanilla is missing and my homemade is still brewing. I gave it all away and didn't keep the finished for myself- what was I thinking :) I need to be more Scrooge-like next time I guess!!  )

Mix it all up in a pot and bring it to a boil. Make sure there are no clumps. Store it in a mason jar and wah-lah ready to go! I doubled this recipe and it fit in a quart mason jar.
Enjoy it wil your favorite milk (cow, goat, coconut, rice, hemp, almond or whatever you have in your fridge at the moment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment