Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Don't let the Pigeon drive the bus

We love books. As such I have a "recommended but have not read yet" book list. As we need more reading material I see if it's at the library and ut it on reserve. There have been a n a lot bunch we have enjoyed and many that we have fallen in love with. We recently have found a new love or obsession could be the better word for it:


Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is by Mo Willems.

It is absolutely hilarious! I discovered these books when a dear friend of mine had a book bridal shower for her second daughter. I got a great list of books from that shower! And an idea for my own baby shower for my third :) Anyway I digress (as usual you'll find :) ) A gal at the shower gave the mother to be a set of these books and then read them out loud. There were times when we literally had to cover our ears (at her suggestion). She had a great set of character voices and made it so funny to listen to her read these after the gift giving part of the shower was over.
I recently found these books again and shared them with my girls.They are quite a hit!!! Oh my! Our sides are splitting and we're just laughing as we read these. They have become a favorite in a short time. When we did a "split and conquer library run" 5 minutes before they closed I grabbed these off the shelf:
I was able to grab:
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!

I have the rest of what they had at the library on hold for fast pick up for our next trip. We'll be getting:
The pigeon wants a puppy!
Knuffle Bunny free : an unexpected diversion
The pigeon has feelings, too! : a smidgeon of pigeon

And then this morning as I was preparing breakfast I heard the story being read from under the table. My oldest was reading it to her sisters. There's a whole series of books and Mo Willem has quite a few. And since we homeschool I had to find a way to make this whole experience educational :) We'll be finishing the stories and making up what could happen next. The pigeon sees a truck at the end of the book which leads quite well into more possibilities outside of the book. Here are the resources I found that I plan on incorporating bits of into our lessons this week:
Short and sweet ideas

Full unit of ideas

These unit will be incorporated into our work boxes too! Hope you had a great day with your nearest and dearest!

No comments:

Post a Comment