Sunday, January 9, 2011

Standized testing and our family

I'm not a fan in the long term of standardized testing. However it is fulfilling a need right now. Our state requires either standardized testing or a portfolio. No one and I mean no one in any of my state groups in real life or online uses a portfolio. I didn't even know how to go about it when I started. It's still vague. However I think that when my SDD starts officially homeschooling we will go to the portfolio if we are still in this state and I can figure out how to do it.

Here are the reasons I don't like Standardized test:
What we are studying and learning are not generally what is on the tests so I have to sometimes teach topics on the tests that we are not quite ready for.

I don't feel that some of the testing is done at the right level. Many kids aren't ready for these types of tests at 6 which is when we need to turn in the test for VA.

Multiple choice is a poor way to find out what any one has learned- especially a child

The reasons we are using standardized testing for now:
It's an easy way to follow state guidelines and keep doing what we're doing.
My ODD does great on Standardized testing and loves it
Desire of husband and supportive, but leary family that what we are doing is indeed working and I'm not stunting my children's intellectual and social growth,
It's a an way to see that we have covered most of what the schools are covering in the same grade level.

So for now this is how we fulfill the state requirements. I'm looking into a portfolio situation and finding an advisor to read the portfolio, but not sure when we will turn to that. It seems like a lot more work, but that could be a misconception on my part. What do you do to fulfill requirements in your state? Do you use standardized testing or portfolios or something else? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment